*the road in texas that showed me freedom is more than an ideal*

Monday, April 25, 2011

Me thinks that the moment my legs begin to move, my thoughts begin to flow*

17 miles solo yesterday. the farthest i've ever run alone, the farthest i've run at all since that unforgettable run to the far side of Lake Drummond at the Great Dismal Swamp (Suffolk, VA) last October. it was a run for exploration, the run to drummond; a run because we knew there was a lake, and we knew we could find it, and we knew we would find it.

currently reading as much Capote as I can get my hands on (i cannot get enough of this man), "walking" by thoreau (read it once, reading it again, will be reading it again and again..): "In wildness is the preservation of the world", "Me thinks that the moment my legs begin to move, my thoughts begin to flow.."
and some of emerson's essays:

"The fallible index of true progress is found in the tone the man takes. Neither his age, nor his breeding, nor company, nor books, nor actions, nor talents, nor all together can hinder him from being deferential to a higher spirit than his own. If he have found his home in God, his manners, his forms of speech, the turn of his sentences, the build, shall I say, of all opinions, will involuntarily confess it, let him brave it out how he will. If he have found his center, the Deity will shine through him, through all the disguises of ignorance, of ungenial temperament, of unfavorable circumstance. The tone of seeking is one, the tone of having is another."
-Emerson, "The Over-Soul"

As I look at my dusty, cluttered book shelves, I realize I am rich, so much so that I cannot absorb such wealth all at once.

For today I must find my umbrella. It is time to walk.

(p.s. my face is full of freckles)

1 comment:

  1. I thought i recognized that quote, " Me thinks that the moment my legs begin to move, my thoughts begin to flow*" I love reading Thoreau. The man was a walking, thinking genius.

    You're quite quotable yourself..."As I look at my dusty, cluttered book shelves, I realize I am rich, so much so that I cannot absorb such wealth all at once."

    Thank you for writing.

    ReplyDelete